Thursday, July 4, 2019

Forgetting about things

Most of you know know that I enjoy hiking.  Yeah, tell us something else we don't already know.  Anyway....  I was looking through my Fitbit app on my phone and noticed some "workouts" I'd done.  I was thinking that I don't remember recording anything from June 19th and then it dawned on me that these were hikes that I'd done two years ago.

Now, everything made sense.  So I decided to keep track of my latest hike with the app and see what the map looked liked.  The weather was overcast this morning, which made it perfect for a more strenuous kind of hike, so I got the gear I needed and drove the Jeep over to the neighborhood where I could access the Thompson Creek walking trail.  From there, I accessed the trail/fireroad which took me up into Johnson's Pasture.  If you're following along at home, I'm moving on the map in a clockwise direction.

That trail eventually took me over to the Claremont Hills Wilderness Loop trail and I just kept going from there.  At the very top of the map is approximately where I encountered the bear that I wrote about in this post.  At about that time, it's pretty much downhill so my pace picked up.  At the top of the loop, I was averaging about 22 minutes per mile, so you can see that I picked it up on the downhill side so that I was averaging over 3 miles per hour.  

Another place in the app, I can access how much elevation gain this hike was and it was about 1200 feet of elevation gain overall. Not really that tough since that's a 7 mile hike, but compress that 1200 miles down to the first 3 and a half miles and it's a little bit more impressive.  Either way, I fell I'm doing much better on my hiking stamina than I was in the past.  I'm hoping for some more cooler mornings so I can get out again before the summer heat really takes over. Now I just need to remember to record my hikes into the app.

Happy 4th to everyone.  Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment