Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Health Update

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I've been asked a number of times how I'm feeling, what's up with my health and various other questions. Because of this, I thought I'd give you a brief update on my situation.

I didn't write about it here on Blogger, but did post about it in Facebook, so many of you already know what happened in the middle of February. My second surgery was February 10th,  and I had a third surgery scheduled for the 22nd. That surgery was postponed because 5 days after my second surgery I ended up in the emergency room and hospitalized for not one, but two pulmonary embolisms. Doctors put me on blood thinners right away and I have been steadily improving, but I'm not out of the woods yet. About a week ago, I developed a urinary tract infection (my second one since being diagnosed) and have been on a regimen of antibiotics to knock that out. I feel good overall, having gone on several four mile hikes over the last couple of days, so that's a good thing.

What it boils down to is my third surgery was rescheduled for six weeks down the road, because apparently I've been "stabilized" on my blood thinners. The surgery is still risky, but my urologist believes that he needs to get in and do some more work on the remaining tumor inside my bladder. And so I go in for surgery, tomorrow, the 29th of March. My doctor told me he didn't expect this surgery to last as long as the first one, which means my recovery should be quicker. Upshot of all of this is, this particular surgery will determine what the next line of treatment is for my cancer.

So if you don't hear from me in the next couple of days, that's the reason. As always, I have appreciated your kind words and support through all of this.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Mr. Myers, so sorry to hear about your health concerns. Will be keeping you in my thoughts. I have twin eighth grade boys now and think about all the shenanigans we put you through all the time!
      -Joseph Beck
      josephjbeck@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Joseph. The surgery went very well today.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul - I didn't catch the first couple of blogs about your health issues (Facebook keeps giving me cat videos - and to be honest, I don't want them to stop, haha). It sounds like the doctors have a good handle on things and overall, as you mentioned before, the prognosis is good, which is very reassuring to hear (read). Good luck tomorrow and in the coming days - I'll be thinking of you. Christine Oney Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for an easy time of it with great success

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia / catsaway9March 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM

    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're able to get this surgery behind you and move on to whatever the next step is. Best wishes for fast healing and a positive prognosis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea! Sending you healing thoughts and prayers for that quick recovery the doctor promised. Take care and listen to their post-op instructions! Let us know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I'm hoping for a very positive outcome.

      Delete
  6. My prayers and positive thoughts…I’m so glad you have been able to get in a few hikes. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa Paul. I had no idea you were going through this. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan and I are sending our prayers, Paul. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul, wishing you a full and speedy recovery and much success with tomorrow’s surgery. The fact that you’re still hiking makes me smile and certain that your warrior heart will triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely praying for you Mr. Myers!

    ReplyDelete