Saturday, April 15, 2023

The Detours Seem to be Getting Shorter

Here's another quick update on my situation. A little over two weeks ago I went in for a second surgical procedure on my bladder. Coming out of surgery, I was greeted by my urologist/surgeon and he was very pleased with what he'd seen in there.  He did several deep biopsies in and around the area where the large tumor was and the pathology report came back with good news.  Not great news, but I'll take the good news at this point.

What they found was microscopic residual cancer cells around the edges of the tumor, but they found no cancer anywhere else. What this means is I'm not going to have any more surgeries for the foreseeable future.

Now comes the fun part. The big problem with cancer is the body's immune system doesn't recognize cancer cells as foreign entities, so the newest treatments have been designed around tricking the immune system to see that they really are foreign invaders.

So once a week for the next 6 weeks, I will have a type of weakened tuberculosis bacteria injected into my bladder. This treatment has proven highly successful against my kind of cancer.  After 6 weeks, I'll take a short break, then begin the regimen again. If all goes well, my immune system will take care of business and I can move on with my life.

As always, your notes of encouragement, support and love are totally appreciated. Thank you one and all.


 

20 comments:

  1. Yikes! so glad to hear the good news part of your saga, and I'm fascinated to hear about the treatment. Here's to your immune system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news is always a positive. Prayers that the treatments work exactly as they predict. You’ve many memories to make in years ahead.

      Delete
  2. Wow Paul. I knew something was happening, wasn't sure what....
    If you guys need ANYTHING, please let me know. We don't live next to each other, but Martin and I are still close by! Sending all the good vibes! Georgene

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good news, and this precautionary treatment - while not sounding fun - will ensure you get to see your grand kid(s) grow. They have made great strides in treating cancer - as a person living with it I can attest to that! Stay positive and spoil that little one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I intend to. We just spent a week with her and I'm can't wait until I see her again.

      Delete
  4. Good news is good. You are still moving forward with treatments that sound promising. Be well rested to help your body get well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a complicated saga, but it appears that your spirits and optimism are up. All the best. Eagle Rock Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Science has come so far, I’m glad there’s a treatment for you. Try and do natural things to also support your immune system, exercise and eating well can always help too. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia (catsaway9)April 15, 2023 at 10:47 PM

    I'll take that as very good news! It's amazing the kind of treatments that are available for cancer these days, and that one sounds very promising. I'm sure the injections won't be a picnic, but keep your eyes on the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news. The road is not going to be easy and it’s a PIA but worth it. It’s doable. You’re going to be able to spend plenty of quality years with those grandkids. Sending lots of strength and positivity your way. - Carolyn (NotableFind)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, this is positive news, I think even though the bacteria in the bladder sounds interesting. We are hoping and praying this goes well and soon this whole episode will be a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. My first treatment is tomorrow morning.

      Delete
    2. My brother in law completed that regimen last years. He is cancer free. Praying the same will occur for you. Sharon Repp

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sharon. That is very encouraging.

      Delete