Tuesday, May 2, 2023

You Do You

Yesterday, I noticed that P.J.'s photo blogging challenge showed up in my Facebook feed and I thought to myself, "Self, this looks like another one where you're not going to have any content to post." I haven't really thought about the photo blogging challenge, or photography in general for several months, mainly because of my health issues, but this month looked particularly doable. I'd taken some shots, many of which I love and I think they all fit the theme of You Do You, since I've been concentrating on getting back to my old self, the one before the cancer diagnosis. 

I haven't got the hiking, camping or traveling parts back in place yet, but that will come, but I've been doing a lot more geocaching lately and fortunately have gotten several visits from my daughter, son-in-law, and of course the granddaughter who just lights up my life right now. So without further ado, I present to you my five shots for the theme You Do You.

1 - 4. Easter and family visits

This post in general is going to be heavy on the cutest little girl in the whole wide world. That's my unbiased opinion, and no matter what I'm sticking to it. My wife and I haven't been able to travel much over the last four or five months due to my health issues so it's been enjoyable to have the kids come to us, so to speak. By the way, if you're not up on what's been going on in my life, you can read about it starting here. There's about four posts in all detailing what's been happening. I'm in the middle of the immunotherapy treatments and I'm very optimistic about the long term prognosis. And as a friend of mine says, so I've got that going for me.

But anyway, the kids have come to us, visiting us for a whirlwind visit right after my birthday and then for a much longer visit before and after Easter. I've always been told that being a grandparent is even better than being a parent and I'm going to have to agree. It's such a joy to hear the pitter patter of little feet running around the house, to hear giggles again and just see the wonderment of a little one as she discovers the world and all there is to explore.

One of the days later in the week, we went down to visit my parents. They met their great granddaughter last summer, but she was very shy toward them. My dad just wanted to hold the baby and wasn't able to last summer, but this time the little one was a little less shy. It took awhile, but we finally got her to sit in his lap. Needless to say, he was in seventh heaven. All it took was a little screen time where they were looking at photos of herself on the phone and she just sat in his lap.

My mom ended up trading stuffed animals with her. The little one is very good about sharing just about anything with anyone, just as long as you give it back pretty quickly. This started over Christmas when I'd ask her for her pacifier. The first couple of times, I'd just take it from her and say, "Thank you!" in a high squeaky voice and then give it back to her. It became a game very quickly and now she'll give you all sorts of things, just as long you give it back fairly quickly afterwards. So that's what my mom was doing there, just playing the game.

One of the other things the little one has really glommed onto is the characters of Winnie the Pooh, particularly Pooh Bear and Tigger. We discovered this sometime in January I believe and so I went on-line and purchased a Pooh Bear for her, which has become her favorite stuffed animal. My wife and her sister had Pooh Bears when they were growing up and we have both of those bears.

As you can see, they were very much loved and have faded over time not nearly as vibrant as the newer Pooh Bear, but they were fun to have around. At one point, my granddaughter decided to have a Council of Pooh Bears. She had an entire meeting with the three of them, telling them in her own monosyllable words what she wanted each one of them to do. She was even dressed the part and I just love the way this particular shot turned out. On a side note, the Pooh Bear with the missing eye, got loved a little bit harder during the week and is now missing that bulbous nose it used to have. Things happen to stuffed animals if they're well loved, and these three will continue to be well loved for many years into the future.

And, as any self respecting grandfather will do, he will take a lot of photos of his grandchildren, particularly ones where he can get them to giggle and laugh in them. In my opinion, the best sound on earth is a tiny human giggling. It's good for the soul and what ails you and we got a lot of that during that week. If you look at this photo long enough, you can hear the giggle emanating from it.

5. Geocaching

And most of my posts would not be complete unless I mentioned geocaching in some form or another. Last week, I contacted my friend NotableFind and asked her if she wanted to go on a geocaching adventure. We decided to each take the train into downtown Los Angeles and meet at Union Station for a geocaching adventure. She's always said she's allergic to Los Angeles and because of the pandemic, I hadn't been there in about three years, so it was high time to take another walking tour of the area.

We walked down Olvera Street, then walked over to Chinatown and then back over to have lunch at Philippe's. She'd never eaten there before, so this was a must stop and the food didn't disappoint. After lunch we decided to walk over to the music center because there was a new virtual geocache that had been set up there in the past couple of months. One of the requirements was to post a photo of ourselves in front of one of the four buildings, so we decided on the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and called it good.

After that we headed back to Union Station to take our respective trains home. I think I overdid it that day because, according to my Fitbit, I walked almost 10 miles that day, way more than I've done in the last couple of months for obvious reasons. My wife and daughter have both said that I don't recognize my own limitations and I agree with them. I've come to be more aware of them. But the day was so fun and I kind of overdid it, because you know, it was fun.

And there you have it: my take on the theme You Do You. As always, please feel free to comment as I won't bite. Also, please check out P.J.'s blog to see how other people interpreted the same theme.




12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I made your wonderful blog! Do you know that my feet are still sore from that day of hiking the hard sidewalks of Los Angeles?! But it's a good hurt and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Such a great memory that I'll have for the rest of my life! I still can't wipe the happy smile off my face from that day. Thank you for that!
    Carolyn-aka-NotableFind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming along. It was indeed a great day.

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful job with the content for this prompt! I'm sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. My hubby (Entrepreneur) has renal cell cancer and is on monthly immunotherapy infusions to try and keep it at bay. He was diagnosed in 2015 and, despite the odds, is still kicking' it. I wish you all the best in a possible recovery or remission. In the meantime, keep up the positive attitude and surround yourself with everything and everyone you love! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I am so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I do hope this “TB therapy” will be effective. Your positive attitude is certainly helpful, and so is the support of your family and friends. Bonus points for cute grandkids for sure! If a toddler gives you their pacifier, you have definitely earned their trust.
    A Pooh Bear Council Meeting, I wonder what was discussed? Maybe take notes next time, it may be blog-worthy 😉
    You walked ten Miles? I guess in good company you lose the sense of time and space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I missed your participation in the PBC the past several months, and now I'm wishing I'd put in the little bit of effort to check your blog to see if something was going on. It's clear from this post (and the ones you linked to starting in January), that something's definitely been going on. You've been through a lot the past several months, and I admire your thoughtful perspective on this particular detour (and associated mini-detours). I really hope the "TB therapy" you describe does the trick it's supposed to on your immune system, so that it kicks this cancer to the curb. It's clear you have a deep, wide network of loving support and that's heartwarming to glean from your posts. And having Winnie-the-Pooh in your corner? A bit plus. I remember with great fondness the days when our two would ask over and over to hear a particular audiobook version of the collection of Winnie-the-Pooh stories, complete with amazing sound effects and musical clips. In fact, I still keep that audiobook on my iPod so that I can listen to one of the stories any time I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. Isn't Winnie the Pooh the best?

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to see you 'round these parts again. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well first, it's good to see you back with the challenge. I know you've had quite the 2023 so far, so this is nice to see some steps to normalcy. Life is a crazy path we take. I've realized, probably since the pandemic, that every little thing needs to be appreciated. These photos capture a great piece of time. A great grandchild is a wonderful thing and not a lot of people get to experience that. Your parents look so happy. I'm glad you are getting back to your normal self and here's hoping all the treatments work and your journey and longterm prognosis is spot on and soon it will be behind you.

    Keep finding those caches and embracing all that is good in life -- you've always seemed to do that well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The "normal" old routine is starting make itself known again. For that I am truly grateful.

      Delete