Monday, July 8, 2019

BASE jumping

This is the 2nd of a series of semi-regular articles chronicling the 2017 road trip my youngest and I took to Wisconsin and back again.

Our first night on the road trip was spent in Bridgeport, California.  From there, we continued north on HWY 395 into Nevada.  The purpose of that day was to find a geocache in each county along the northern tier of the state, thus giving me a find in every county in Nevada.  I already have every county covered in California and this was a natural follow up to that.  We didn't really go much out of our way since Interstate 80 cuts through all of the northern counties that I needed.  One side trip into Virginia City to get that county and it was pretty much a done deal.  We spent the night in Wells.

The next day we drove from Wells, up to Twin Falls, Idaho where we stopped for lunch near the Perrine Bridge.  The bridge's claim to fame is that it's the 8th highest bridge in the United States and it's one of the few, if not the only man-made structure in the United States, where BASE jumping is allowed year-round without a permit.  

BASE jumping. Building, Antenna, Span and Earth.  Yeah.  Jump with a parachute off of each of those things and land on the ground.  Dangerous, but apparently a lot of fun for those who want to try it.  We watched a couple of guys readying their parachutes and then decided to hang around and watch one of them jump off of the bridge.  I don't have a good video of that happening, so I'll leave this video I found on-line to show you what it's like.

All I can say is, it's not for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment