Monday, April 6, 2020

What to do in my spare time?

All of us, if we're practicing social distancing and following the leads of our governors, have a lot of spare time on our hands these days. I even have more spare time, because last week, I re-injured my knee that I sprained late last summer. So for the past five days, I been resting it and not overdoing it to aid in the healing process. That has given me more time to explore things that have gotten away from me, one being computer games, particularly Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (RCT2).

RCT2 is a simulation game where you manage and develop an amusement park. The second version, hence the 2, is probably the best version of the game. More than just creating rides, it also allowed for enhanced scenery building to create an all immersive experience. The old game doesn't work on newer computers, but there's a new version of it called OpenRCT2 which is a reconfigure of the old game with new enhancements. Last week I downloaded the game and have started to play it. My particular interest is in the Sandbox mode, which allows you to just develop your own park without having to win any particular scenario.

The screenshot above is from one of my old parks using the old RCT2 game. From time to time, I'll post screenshots of my new park creations. With the OpenRCT2 format, there appears to even be a way to link up via the Internet to create collaborative park efforts. I'll have to explore that later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment