Monday, June 17, 2019

Leaves of three, let them be

Today I went on a hike in Marshall Canyon, which is located a little northwest of me in the town of LaVerne.  I have many geocaches hidden up there and it was a nice day to walk up and check on them.

The trail is notorious for having a lot of poison oak alongside of it and it didn't disappoint today at all.  In fact, with all of the rain we've had this year, I was anticipating on seeing a lot of it.  Hillsides were covered in it and there was plenty of it on both sides of the trail, but whoever is maintaining the trail is doing a good job of keeping it at bay.  Not once, while I was hiking, did I ever feel like the poison oak was encroaching onto the trail.

However, the poison oak is very healthy.  Looking at the photo, you can tell those leaves are about the size of my hand.  They usually don't grow that large, but this has been a really good year for rain, and thus most vegetation.  I guess you can say, it's more food for the deer.

And if you guessed there's a geocache nearby, you would be right.  It's not one of mine, but to find it, you have to gingerly make your way around that particular bush, then lean out with one hand on a tree trunk to view around the other side to get the cache.  Fortunately, I didn't have to do that since I've already found that particular cache.  

I just wish other people would be more cognizant about where they put their caches so you don't possibly have people walk directly into the stuff.  I know what it looks like, but I'm sure a lot of other people don't.  It's one of the reasons I don't pet dogs on this particular trail.  It's too easy for a dog to brush up against it and transfer the oil of the plant to their fur.  Then, if you pet the dog, the oil is now on you.  Not something I'd want to get.

2 comments:

  1. It is a deciduous plant so loses its leaves in the winter. Without leaves, it is just bare twigs, often reddish. It is important to recognize Poison Oak when it doesn't have leaves so you don't set your geocache in it only to have people complain about Poison Oak come Spring.

    Prevention is the best treatment, but if you think you have been exposed, wash yourself thoroughly with a washcloth and soap to remove the oils; Dawn dish soap, Dial, or Tecnu have good reputations, but the KEY is to use a washcloth to create the friction to remove the oil. Pay close attention to washing between your fingers, the back of your arms and legs and other places that can be easily missed.

    I speak from personal experience. About 15 years ago, I went over the handlebars of my mountain bike and landed in a bush of Poison Oak suffering minor cuts. The Poison Oak went systemic, spread everywhere, and I needed steroids to get rid of it. For the next twelve years, whenever I contracted a case of Poison Oak, I needed a prescription of steroids to control it. Since I have been washing myself as described, I have only had a rash a few times, and each time it has cleared on its own within a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Th e one time I got poison oak, it was when I was geocaching in November. I reached in to pull out the geocache and ended up getting poison oak in between my fingers. No leaves, so I wasn't aware that what I was reaching into was poison oak.

      Delete