Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Geocaching Geo-Art

The more creative geocachers out there will create, what's known in the community as, Geo-Art.  They possibly will use programs, or just eyeball certain things and lay out caches to create images that you can see on the Geocaching maps.

Today, I got up fairly early and decided to do the Lucky Horseshoe Series just north of Victorville, CA.  As you can see from the two screenshots, there's also a Blinky out in the same area which I've already hiked and found.  And yes, to the west of there, is a Pac-Man.  There's also a Smiley Face out there to the northeast.

The Horseshoe was fairly easy, as there's only 15 caches in the series.  I parked near the top as you can see from the first screenshot which shows the three I'd already found.  Usually, when I do something like this, I like to have any long hikes where there aren't any geocaches done first when I'm still fresh.  Something this small, though, it really didn't matter.  Each cache was only about 800 feet away from the next one in the series, so the gap at the top of the horseshoe is about 3 tenths of a mile or so.

It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to complete the circuit and hike back to the Jeep.  Not a bad morning outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment