Sunday, April 28, 2024

Bonelli Park Hike

About a week and a half ago I decided to hike the perimeter of Bonelli Park, a regional park located in my area. I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and the fact that there's free parking on the weekdays until the end of April there. There are several different trails that could have lured me in and I've hiked many of them in the past, but I decided to take the main trail around the park, the Bonelli Trail. I'd never hike the entire trail before, so some of this was going to be brand new to me. This particular trail follows fire roads around the edges of the park and sometimes the "communing with nature" is just a myth since the park borders on two major freeways in our area, Interstate 10 running east/west and Hwy 57 which runs north/south. But it was an enjoyable hike nonetheless.

I found a place to park the car down by the picnic area mainly because the trail comes very close to that point and then I started my hike there. It was here that I made my first mistake, but I really didn't think much of it until later in the day. I started out heading in a counter-clockwise direction on the trail, got about 100 yards up the trail when I realized that I hadn't turned on my Relive App on my phone. I wanted to record the entire hike as I traversed around the park. So I walked back down to the trailhead, started up the app and then decided to hike the other way along the trail in a clockwise direction around the park.

The trail from that point works its way over to the west entrance of the park and parallels Hwy 57 for a good distance. But as you can see from the first photo, there's a lot of cool, green and shady spots along the trail. In fact, most of the trail on the western side and the northern side have a lot of spots where you're hiking in the shade of large trees. You also have to be aware of poison oak as well. If you look at the bridge, the bushes growing through on the right side and then again on the left side at the other end of the bridge are all poison oak. It's not something that you'd want to bump into, but as I was walking by, I could tell that numerous bike riders had done just that, based upon some broken branches along the edges of poison oak that encroached on the trail.

On a side note, my back yard rain gauge has measured out over 23 inches of rain since January 1st of this year. Since we average 13 inches or so for an entire year, the lake that lies in the center of the park is very full. I crossed over the spillway for the dam and while no water was flowing at that time, you could tell, just by the dampness in the area that they appeared to be periodically spilling water as the snow melts in the mountains.

Needless to say, there was a lot of muddy areas of the trail, but once I got over on the east side and started heading south on the trail, it dried up considerably with the exception of this one area where I was forced to wade across this water inlet. I took my shoes and socks off and carefully waded in. The water came up almost to my knees, but it was actually rather refreshing. Getting to the other side, I put my socks and shoes back on, had a snack and then continued on with my hike.

The last several miles of the hike, which headed south and then west back to the trailhead where I started were on exposed ridges and/or low lying area with little any shelter from the sun. When I mentioned my mistake before, this was it. Had I done the hike in a counter-clockwise direction, I would have been through this part of the hike early in the day, when the sun is usually very welcome. However, later in the day, it just beat down on me and sapped my strength so my pace was much slower than usual. 

No rattlesnakes were spotted on the hike that day, although it appeared as if the weather was perfect for snakes to be out basking. I did encounter a very large gopher snake just relaxing at the side of the trail. It let me get quite close to it for a photo op and never did try to flee. I also saw a coyote ambling down the trail earlier in the hike, but just briefly, so I wasn't able to get a shot of it before it ambled off the trail and into the underbrush.

Overall, the hike was 9.1 miles with 1276 feet of elevation gain. It took me 3 and a half hours to traverse. That's a decent 2.5 miles per hour for the entire trek. I did end up stopping once for a maintenance check on one of my geocaches hidden in the park, but that probably added only about 5 extra minutes on to the entire hike. It was a good workout and one that I will probably do again, although not until the fall because the weather is heating up and it's harder to hike when it's really hot. And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment