Friday, March 27, 2020

Are You Talking to Me??

I recently got a pretty decent shot of an Eastern Fox Squirrel while on a walk in a local park. California has basically three types of tree squirrels, two of which are imported and obviously considered invasive species. The Eastern Fox Squirrel and the Eastern Gray Squirrel were both imported during the early 1900s and have flourished in this area, pushing out the Western Gray Squirrel. For more information on how you can tell them apart, check out this website.

While on my walk on a short nature path in the park, I spotted this Fox Squirrel eating on the path. It immediately scurried up the closest tree and sat in the crook of the first large branch of the tree to continue its snack. Most of the shots I took of it consisted of two paws on the branch and two paws holding and eating the nut, typical squirrel posture. Then it paused, put one paw down and clutched the nut with its one paw. The look made it look like it was pointing at its own chest. It then looked directly at me and that gave me the title of this blog entry: Are You Talking to Me??

2 comments:

  1. Great shot!

    And if you actually want to shoot one of these eastern invaders, you won't get any complaints from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl. I think the local law enforcement agencies would look askance if I decided to discharge my firearm at one of these.

      All kidding aside, there for awhile, I didn't see any grey squirrels at all, but I'm now seeing them in larger amounts again. That's a good thing.

      Delete